10 easy ways to get organized and save money on your holiday shopping
Before we know it, the holiday shopping season will be upon us. The best way to save time, money, and sanity is to get organized before the holidays get here. You can also use some easy tips to save lots of money on your holiday shopping.
5 easy ways to get organized for your holiday shopping
1. Make a list. List everyone you plan to give a gift to this holiday season. Prioritize the list from “definitely give” to “if there is still room in the budget.”
2. Set a budget. Go through your list and set a maximum budget amount that you will spend on each person’s gift(s). If you plan on purchasing more than one gift for a person, make sure you list the budget for the total of all gifts.
3. Create a gifting space. Set aside some room in your house to store the gifts and other holiday items that you will be purchasing. One of the worst ways to blow your budget is to purchase a gift for someone in advance and forget where you put it. You’ll find yourself buying a duplicate gift at the last minute and probably not being able to return the original gift you purchased if it’s past the return date when you finally find it again.
4. Use a calendar. Mark any sales you want to shop on your calendar. Also use your calendar to mark off the dates you would like to have your holiday shopping done so that you are on track. Don’t forget to mark the date that you will attend a Holiday Savings Workshop to get even more tips on how to save money this holiday season.
5. Keep everything in a binder. Put your gift list and your receipts in a binder so they are easy to find. Keeping receipts handy is essential for returns and also for any stores that price match and give you back the difference. Be sure to check off and list when you’ve purchased a gift for someone so you stay on budget. It also helps to note next to it where it is located in your gifting space.
5 easy ways to get save money on your holiday shopping
1. Join free rewards programs. Do easy things like earn points for walking into a store on Shopkick, search the internet on Swagbucks, or track your walking with Walgreens, to earn free gift cards that you can use towards your holiday shopping (or use as a gift).
3. Save money with cash back sites. Use apps like Ibotta to get cash back on some of your purchases. Put that money aside towards your holiday gift fund.
4. Become part of virtual garage sale groups. There are many Facebook groups out there where you can buy and sell things (like a virtual garage sale). Many times you can find brand new items at a fraction of the price. You can also use these sites to sell your unwanted things to earn money towards your holiday shopping. The best part is that you won’t have to pay for shipping because it is local pickup.
5. Make your gifts. One way to save money on your holiday shopping is to make some of your gifts. Sites like Pinterest make it very easy to find some inexpensive gift ideas. Combine those ideas with coupons from stores like Michaels and Jo-Ann to create unique gifts.
Of course, the best way to save money not just during the holidays, but every day, is to use coupons and online coupon codes. Once you start using these tips for your everyday shopping, you’ll find that you have a lot more available for your holiday shopping budget!
Maria Tiongco Ramos is the owner and content creator for A Savings WOW!, where she shows how to make saving money every day easier. Maria is a busy stay-at-home/work-at-home mom to four kids. She is also a Savings.com DealPro and teaches Savings Nation workshops that help people learn how to save up to 50% off their grocery bills.