10 easy ways to save money this Fall and Winter
I still haven’t decided yet if it’s worth giving up on the warmth and sunshine in order to wear my Fall boots. Flip flops are great, don’t get me wrong. But it sure is fun to shake things up a bit and put on a pair of long comfy socks and stuff those feet into a nice pair of boots.
Fall is probably my favorite time of year. While the colors are fabulous and the wardrobe gets switched up a bit, it is also the time to start planning ahead for saving some money. It’s easy to quickly lose money on that heating bill, and the extra gas we use warming up the car each morning.
So here are some ways that you can cut down on some costs this Fall and Winter. And we’re not just talking about ways to save on that heating bill….we’ve got some other cool tips thrown in as well:
1. Get rid of cable. Kristie shares tips like this and more on her post: Ways to Save This Fall.
4. Use an infrared heater. Merissa talks more in detail about using an infrared heater here.
5. If you’re within a certain income bracket, you may qualify for weatherization assistance in your area.
6. Grow some winter vegetables. It’s easy to get some leafy greens into the diet and save money by growing a Winter garden. Plants that do well in Fall/Winter: Collards, Broccoli, Swiss Chard, Romaine.
7. Purchase a programmable thermostat. This is a good way to keep that bill down if everything is programmed out.
8. Look into solar energy options. There are a lot of great DIY methods of using solar energy to save. A quick search on Pinterest will bring back a ton of options!
9. Shop the sales cycles when buying groceries. The trick to this is buying items just when they are on sale, so that you save the most amount of money.
10. Use a fireplace or wood burning stove if you have it. Alea shares this tip and more on how to save money on utilities during Winter.
I’m already working on Winterizing the home. I actually get that plastic film, and cover all of the windows with it. It saves me a huge amount of money each year. What are some of the ways that you will be saving this Fall and Winter? Tell me about it!