6 ways to save on a family vacation
As the mother of three children with a fourth child on the way, I have learned many ways to save on a family vacation. With the end of school approaching in a couple of months, it is time to start thinking ahead to your summer plans. Here are 6 tips on how we save thousands of dollars on our summer vacations each year.
1. Vacation during the off peak months. Find the off-peak months of your vacation destination. This will give you the off peak rates which can be thousands of dollars less than even the week before.
2. Rent a house instead of a hotel. We like to rent a vacation house right on the beach, we use the beach for FREE entertainment all week and save a lot of money by not going out to eat every meal. You can also invite another family to attend and split the cost of the rental.
3. Stay in a place where you can cook your own food. One of the other benefits of renting a home for a week, is that you have your own kitchen. We plan meals around the sales at the local grocery store, and split the food bill with whom ever is staying with us. If you do not get a home, look for a full kitchen suite in your hotel, you may just save more money in food costs vs. the cost of the room upgrade.
4. Watch the daily deal sites. Many daily deal sites offer great discounts on summer getaways. The only thing you have to watch out for is black out dates, make sure that you read all the fine print before making your purchase. You can save up to 50% off a vacation package many times by watching those deals.
5. Visit the website VRBO.com — this is a great website which features vacation rentals by the owners. You can talk directly with the owner of the property, negotiate rates, and get it for less money because they don’t have to pay a fee to a listing agent. We rent our beach house through this website every year and have always been very pleased!
6. Watch sites like expedia.com and priceline.com. Often times they offer discounted vacation package deals that are all-inclusive. You have to catch them at the right time but you can set up alerts. Visit savings.com to see if you can find discount codes or coupons off already discounted prices.
A vacation is meant to be a time where you relax and enjoy each other, so why not simplify it. Stop making daily agendas, cook, and have fun with your time.. I hope that with the help of these tips you can afford that vacation of your dreams without having to break the bank to do so!
Lauren Greutman is a wife and mom of 3 kids. Once in $40,000 worth of debt they had to make some drastic changes to their life. They learned how to cut out most expenses, coupon, and live without. Now they are debt free and she shares her tips on her website iamthatlady.com. She is also a Savings.com DealPro and teaches Savings Coupon workshops that help people learn how to save up to 50% off their grocery bill.