Lose Weight Like the Dancing with the Stars Cast
With the success of the hugely popular TV show, Dancing With The Stars
, many people have noticed that competitors lose tons of weight while on the show. For instance, Kelly Osbourne lost 42 pounds
and whittled down to a size 2 from a size 14. Amazing right? Kirstie Alley, known for her ongoing weight battles
, already lost 60 pounds and is hoping to shed another 30 to 40 while competing on the show. Back in 2007, Marie Osmond dropped an astonishing 31 pounds
thanks to the show.
So, what does this tell you? Dancing is an awesome workout and easy on the wallet!
- If you have two left feet, don't despair. Sign up for a dance class and meet like-minded people who are looking to instill some confidence in their moves. Your local YMCA offers many dance classes for all ages. Even kids can get in on the fun. Classes range in cost from $25 to $45 a month, depending on the type of dance. Hip-hop dancing, which is very popular with the younger crowd, offers a more intense cardio workout and costs a bit more. But, it's so worth it to learn some new moves and show them off on the dance floor.
- If you want to learn ballroom dancing a la Dancing With The Stars, check out a dance academy. This is a fun workout for couples or friends to take together. Classes vary per academy but I found one in Los Angeles that offers 8 weeks of lessons for $198 per couple. Not a bad way to spruce up the hotness factor in your relationship. I'm always on the lookout for something new to do with my significant other. Going to the movies, dining out and other sedentary activities get old after a while and don't help you keep your figure.
- Too shy to strut your stuff in front of an audience? Pick up a dance DVD and learn from the comfort of your own home. Beach Body has a bevy of dance programs that cost around $60 each. Supposedly you can burn up to 1,500 calories a day with Rockin Body Workout and you get four free gifts just for trying out the program. Of course, you can always check out Amazon where there are plenty of dance workout DVDs starting at just under $10. This is probably the cheapest option and you can dance in your underwear.
- Your current gym membership probably comes with dance and other classes. And here you thought it just meant running on the treadmill for hours on end. I checked out 24 Hour Fitness and they offer a bunch of dance classes including hip hop, funk, Zumba and Hustle. You can burn 300-500 calories per class and you don't even have to pay extra for it. How's that for getting the most bang for your buck?
- Video game lovers can check out Dance Central on the Kinect which I wrote about in a recent blog. See, the possibilities really are endless!
What are some other fun dance exercises you know of or participate in?