Savings Makeover: 5 tips for saving on your next vacation
Recently, Jen & Sia of Thrifty Northwest Mom did a savings makeover with Seattle mom Terumi Pong of An Emerald City Life as part of the #HelpMeSave campaign. The goal was to offer Terumi tips on how to save on travel and everyday purchases on her next family summer vacation to Vancouver.
Since Terumi was already familiar with the Vancouver area (having insight into local cheap spots, etc., will save you money), Jen & Sia offered 5 tips for saving on the family’s next summer vacation:
1. Sign up for Air Alerts. Once you know that you will be traveling, sign up for free fare alerts on sites like AirfareWatchdog.com and CheapAir.com. After you enter your destination, you will be notified by email when prices drop. You can also follow airlines like @JetBlueCheeps, @VirginAmerica on Twitter and Facebook to find out limited-time fare sales.
2. Know the best days to fly. This is a travel tip that goes a long way and has saved me thousands of dollars over the last few years. Priceline has a Best Days to Fly Calendar which shows you when you could get the most travel discounts.
3. Use Mobile Apps. I’ve learned that the new way to save while on the run is utilizing the apps on your smartphone. Apps such as Valpak mobile can help you save money on family activities and Hotel Tonight can help you save on your hotel stay.
4. Avoid Dining Out Every Night. Of course, we don’t say to completely avoid eating out because you want to enjoy the food scenery the city has to offer, the people watching, etc., but keeping it to a minimum will let you budget for other things. You can use daily deal sites to get huge discounts on local restaurants and if you can get your hands on some coupons beforehand from flyers, etc., that will help you save additionally.
5. Save on Gas. We all know that gas prices are high. Use Gas Buddy to find the lowest price in your vicinity or use your fuel rewards from your grocery store purchases to save additionally.
Additionally, Jen & Sia also offered ways Terumi could save while shopping for vacation necessities. To maximize her savings potential she could use coupons from Savings.com, compare prices for items with PriceGrabber.com and use PriceBlink toolbar that will tell her the lowest price on a specific item.