Savings Secrets: 5 of the best items to buy at the dollar stores
I still remember the time I headed to the store on a last-minute "emergency" run to pick up something I needed for about $10, only to find that same item for dollar at the Dollar Tree the following week. I definitely felt like I had wasted money, and vowed to be a lot more careful with my spending after that.
I'm a huge fan of stores like Dollar Tree and the 99 Only Store. I'm always popping in for items that help me save when it comes to parties and upcoming gifts. For my kids' birthday party, I picked up 10 character balloons for $10 total, and it was one of the most fun things they experienced when they walked into a room full of helium balloons.
That's just one of the items that make the dollar store awesome, so let me talk about some of the great buys that can be had at the dollar store.
1. Books - especially children's books. There is a huge assortment of children's books available at places like Dollar Tree. And these aren't just cheapo books. They are books that had their heyday and are now heavily discounted as the popularity decreased. I'm especially a big fan of the coloring books that I can snatch up for just a dollar.
2. Kitchen utensils and dishes. For a dollar I can pick up some new potholders, spatulas or new dinner plates. I've even been known to pick up some plain coffee mugs that I can design on with sharpies. That makes for such a fun project with the kids!
3. Containers and baskets. Dollar stores have such a huge variety of containers from storage bins, to garbage bins and wicker baskets. It's easy to get organized on the cheap by stopping by to pick up some good storage items.
4. Bathroom essentials. Things like cotton swabs, shower poofs, Q-tips, tissues, body wash, shampoo and conditioner are all only $1.
5. Pharmaceutical items. Things like ibuprofen, benadryl and even pregnancy tests are only $1! It would be easy to spend $20 when buying these three items full-price at a drugstore, but you've only spent $3 at the dollar store.
These are just a few of my favorite items to stock up on at the dollar store. There are so many great items that can be picked up there. And with the new Fall seasonal items now available in the store, you can even decorate on the cheap!
What are some of your favorite items to get from your local dollar store?Want to attend a Grocery Savings Class? To find a teacher and a class in your area you can visit our coupon classes page here.
Crystal Collins, a Savings.com DealPro, is an Atlanta local, adventurer, a health advocate and thrifty as can be. Check her out on her blog at TheThriftyMama.com.