Name Your Baby with Six Free Sites
The second you find out you're having a baby, one of the first things that crosses your mind is, "What will I name it?
" Will it be biblical, something passed down from the family or after a favorite superhero (and yes, I am talking about Nic Cage's son Kal-El
). So many questions and so much to consider. Your baby's whole life is at stake!
You don't want to name him or her Pumpkin Pie Peterson or Cup Cake Conners. Although, I'm sure there are a few oddballs out there that would. You want a name that rolls off the tongue nicely, easy to pronounce and makes a statement that people will remember -- in a good way (being picked on because of their name is not what you want for your child
In an episode of "Pregnant in Heels
," one of Rosie Pope's clients wanted to brand their baby
. To test out their favorite names, they had a focus group with regular people, a round table discussion with branding experts and a naming dinner with close friends (I mean these were some hardcore baby naming sessions
). Ridiculous as it sounds, this goes to show how important baby naming is.
Within the last two years, the popularity of the name Arianna (after Arianna Huffington) has risen
and is currently sitting comfortably in the #32 spot. People are getting name inspirations from successful people and from the most wealthy people
(probably has a lot to do with the poor economy
Depending on what your needs may be, I've compiled a list of six free sites that can help you in your baby-naming journey (Beyonce probably should have taken a look at one or all of these sites before saddling her newborn girl with the name "Blue Ivy"
):Baby Name Wizard
- It's the Amazon.com
of names. You can find names, graph names (see trends for that particular name
), map names (view specific location popularity
) and research names. This is a good starting point if you have no clue or idea on where to begin.Baby Names HQ
- Are you religious? Do you want a religious name? Whether you're Jewish, Hindu or Buddhist, this site has a good database of names to go along with your beliefs.Prokerala
- Want your child to have good luck and fortune? Honestly, who doesn't? Name your baby based on astrology and their zodiac sign (maximize the potential of your baby's name
- Use numerology to name your baby. If you have a few names in mind (first and middle
), enter it into the free calculator to see what your child's future will look like based on the numerology of those names. Many fortune tellers and monks in Asia use something similar to this to name babies.Name For My Baby
- Once you've narrowed down your first and middle names, you can use the tool on this site to see the combination of those names. It's definitely a visual to show you how those names look together and you can sound them out simultaneously.Baby Name Genie
- Are you still lost on baby names or have you just given up? Then ask the genie. Enter your last name with the sex of the baby (the sex is optional
) and after you make a wish...voila, a name will appear! You have three wishes to find your perfect name (if you're not satisfied, then take a look at the first baby names for 2012
Take time in naming your baby and have fun with it. It's a part of your pregnancy journey and your child's life journey. Go with your instincts and see what matches your child's personality and what feels right (and yes, they do have personalities in your belly
How did you name your baby or how are you naming your baby? Please share below.