Spend vs. Save: 10 Beauty Product Substitutes
Most of us beauty junkies have at least ten products in our make up cases and bathroom that we consider essentials. I'm a sucker when it comes to name brand products. Do they really work as well as lesser priced drugstore brands? According to tests, user reviews and ingredients, just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's better. Great news for us savvy savers.
Here's my list of 10 beauty items similar to their much pricier counterparts:
- Spend: Nars Orgasm Blush - This peachy pink blush has been a cult favorite ever since it entered the market. Known to replicate the flush you get after *ahem* a romp, women have been snatching it off the shelves even at a $26 a pop.
Save: Mary Kay Shy Blush - At only $10, this mineral cheek color is the exact same shade as Nars Orgasm. For this price, you can get two and have change to spare.
- Spend: Chanel Black Satin Nail Polish - Dark nails have always been trendy and when Chanel came out with Black Satin, it sold out almost immediately, at $30 a pop. That's ridiculous for a tiny bottle of nail polish. Hey, if you've got the dough and are a devout Chanel fan, by all means, go for it.
Save: Zoya Raven Nail Polish - For a mere $6.99, you can pick up Zoya's long wearing Raven polish and get the exact same color as the much coveted Chanel.
- Spend: Stila Kitten Eyeshadow - This wildly popular shimmery nude pink shade has garnered a huge following since it's debut. Stila claims it looks great on everyone, but it's not very flattering on my Asian skin tone. At $18 each, it's about average for an eyeshadow.
Save: Jemma Kidd Vintage Eyeshadow - This relatively new line from former model Jemma Kidd can be found at your local Target store and sells for $16. It's only $2 less--but hey, $2 is still something.
- Spend: DiorShow Mascara - Another product with a huge cult following, boosting a mega brush that delivers ultra thick, long and curly lashes. It's yours for $24 and comes in black, brown or blue.
Save: Covergirl LashBlast - This cheaper alternative gives length and volume with its patented brush. Costs around $8 depending on where you buy.
- Spend: MAC Nymphette Lip Glass - Another peachy, shimmery product that delivers high shine and a glass like finish. $14.50 at MAC stores--which is actually pretty decently priced.
Save: e.l.f. Oasis Plumping Lip Glaze - For just $1, you can get the same color from e.l.f. and it even plumps your pout. Sweet deal!
- Spend: Laura Mercier Kohl Eye Pencil - Kohl liner is the way to go for enhancing your peepers. Laura Mercier has one and it comes in various shades including black, grey and even black gold. At $19 each it's worth it if you want different colors.
Save: Sephora Collection Kohl Pencil - This is my all time favorite eye liner. Ever since I discovered it a few years ago, I've never bought anything else. It goes on easily, costs $9 and lasts forever. A must-have indeed.
- Spend: Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Cream - One of my girl friends swears by this hair gloss and is a faithful fan. I tried it once and liked it, but didn't love it. At $32 for a 7 oz tube, it's definitely up there in price.
- Save: John Frieda Clear Shine Glaze - Yes, I know it's not a leave-in cream, but I've tried this and loved it. It gave my hair a glassy finish and it's easy to use. Apply after washing and conditioning, leave on for three minutes and rinse out. No oily residue and only $9.99.
- Spend: Creme de le Mer - This moisturizing cream is a cult favorite of celebrities and costs $130 for a mere 1 oz. Followers swear by it, but I'm not convinced that any cream is worth that amount of money.
Save: Philosophy Hope in a Jar - People who have used La Mer say that Hope in a Jar is a great alternative. It's another cult favorite that delivers soft, healthy, glowing results. At $38 for a 2 oz jar, I think it's worth trying.
- Spend: bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation - This mineral makeup has become quite popular over the years. It looks like a powder, feels like a cream and buffs on like silk. Just tap, swirl and apply on your face. Bonus SPF 15 coverage. $25 for a 0.3 oz size.
Save: L'Oreal True Touch Natural Mineral Foundation - This great alternative delivers the same results, is safe for sensitive skin and boosts SPF 19. It costs around $12 and can last for months.
- Spend: Chanel Chance - This is my "signature" scent and I'm in love with it. Every time I wear it, I get compliments from both men and women. However, at $50 for a 1.2 oz spray, it's not really wallet-friendly.
Save: Zara Collection Woman. This perfume smells exactly like Chance and costs around $20. Can't beat that!
I hope this list helps you stay pretty, look young, smell good and save money. Have any other beauty alternatives? Please share!