As soon as the leaves start to turn, one starts to crave tall leather boots. They are a perfect choice for fall and winter--keeping you warm and dry while looking chic. Whether you pair your knee-high boots with a dress for work, or with skinny jeans and a slouchy sweater on the weekend, they are an easy way to add style to a simple ensemble.
Unless you have wide calves (like me
). Be you athletic, plus size, or blessed with larger calves, trying to find a pair of knee-high boots can be a frustrating experience. I have dealt with large calves all my life and have found some great online resources to find stylish tall boots that will fit those of us with large calves.
Here are my favorites:
- Ulla Popken is an online retailer that sells plus-size fashion…and a good selection of wide calf boots
in a variety of styles and price points. While Ulla Popken sells higher-priced leather boots from brands like Ros Hommerson and David Tate, they also offer fashionable lower-priced man-made material boots that can add great style to your current wardrobe. I especially like their Ring Trim Dress Boot
(see pic above
), which is on sale for $49--three great colors to choose from, and a style that will look equally chic with a wrap dress at the office, or a pair of leggings and a sweater coat on the weekend. With a 17" wide calf, it will comfortably fit more athletic legs.
- I cannot rave enough about this company: an amazing selection of boots in all sizes of calf, a great selection of styles and quality brands, and some of the most stellar customer service. While WideWidths.com primarily sells higher-end boots (meaning price points over $100
), they sell classic styles and quality brands so the boot you buy will still be stylish and in great shape years from now.
I own the Ros Hommerson "Maryland" boot
, which is a classic black leather heeled boot that is available up to a 20 ½" calf. I bought them several years ago and they still look like-new and quite stylish.
- Silhouettes is also a plus-size online retailer who has a great selection of budget-friendly wide calf boots
. I have found fashionable, affordable boots there for under $100 that have provided me with several seasons of style. I especially like their classic Dress Boot
, which is on sale for $79.99! This boot has elegant timeless styling, nappa leather with a flexible rubber sole, 17" calf circumference, variety of shoe widths and a fantastic selection of colors (I am partial to the Wine color--would look fantastic with denim, brown or black
- Torrid is known for offering fun and trendy clothing in plus sizes. They also offer fun and trendy wide calf boots
at phenomenal prices. I once had a pair of dark red leather-look slouch boots from Torrid--paid only $60 for them and had people stopping me on the street complimenting me on their fabulous style.
Torrid has adorable styles of trendy dress and casual boot styles in large shaft circumference, they also have wide calf rain boots--something that is extremely hard to find. The Berry Patent Rain Boot
comes in up to a 19" shaft circumference and a nice sale price of $42.38--great fit, great price, and a great color will bring a smile to your face on a dreary rainy day.
- DUO is a UK company; I hesitated including them because the shipping to (and potential returns from
) the United States can be difficult and costly. However their customer service is extraordinary and they are currently offering free worldwide shipping. They have extensive customer reviews on their site and quickly answer emailed questions to help you choose the perfect boot for you. They size their boots by the centimeter so you can really get a custom fit, no matter the size of your calves.
I personally own the Bern boots
--while they may seem costly at $240, these are the best quality boots I have ever purchased, quite comfortable, and fit my legs like a dream.
- Yet again Zappos impresses with their gigantic shoe selection. Just by entering "Wide Calf Boots" in the search function on the site, over 200 styles appear. You can then narrow the selection by size, brand, color, and even shaft height and circumference. I like the "Rider" boot from rsvp
, which has a comfortable 1" heel, classic buckle details, an 18" calf circumference, and a sweet price of only $99.
Alison Gary has over ten years experience as a personal shopper, stylist, and visual merchandiser. Her blog Wardrobe Oxygen provides fashion advice to all women, regardless of age, size, budget, or lifestyle. She is a full-time working mother, blogger, wife, and frugal fashionista located in the Washington D.C. area.