What you need to know before you go shopping this Black Friday
Ahhhh Black Friday. Don't you just love it? The long lines, early mornings, the yelling, the pushing and shoving...
Black Friday is the lovely time of year when we all get together to trample each other for a deal, shortly after we just spent an entire day being thankful. In order to really benefit, there are a few key things you should know before you go Black Friday shopping and they are as follows:
1. Make sure you get in line a least a week before in order to secure your spot.
2. If you're not first, what's the point? Just turn around and go home with your head down in shame.
3. Make sure you have plenty of caffeine to tide you over for the long night ahead of you: 3 cups minimum. Jittery? That's ok - it's all part of the plan!
4. Make sure you're tag-teaming with at least 2.5 friends and/or family members. Go hard or go home people! Those who go alone end up with less deals!
5. Make sure you wear goggles to protect your eyes. Bonus points if you bring a helmet and knee pads, too!
6. When the employees come to the door and get ready to open the store, make sure you rush as fast as possible to get inside.
7. If the store is already open, make sure you're at the front of line - no matter the cost!
8. When the deals begin, it's time to act! Pushing, shoving - these are all on the menu.
9. If you didn't get to a deal in time, feel free to take an item out of someone else's cart. Etiquette and decorum? Nah! Not on Black Friday...
10. And if you really couldn't get a deal, go stand in the customer service line for several hours and then complain about it. They like that!
Ha. Obviously this post is meant as sarcasm. I'm not a huge fan of heading out on Black Friday because, frankly, it's dangerous! Who wants to face the crowds for a discounted toaster oven? Not me! This is especially true because there's sufficient evidence that Black Friday is Dead
, and people are now getting all of those same deals by shopping online.
For some tips that will actually help you this Black Friday, check out these posts from the DealPros, and R.I.P. Black Friday: Crystal Collins, a Savings.com DealPro, is an Atlanta local, adventurer, a health advocate and thrifty as can be. Check her out on her blog at TheThriftyMama.com. Crystal also works as a consultant for Savings.com on the Favado grocery program.