Savings Secrets: How to find the best deals for your holiday gifting
I know…. you read that title and are thinking, “why is she talking about the holidays already? I’m just trying to figure out what to make using pumpkin right now!” Well, for the bargain hunter that likes to save money, it’s never too early to be thinking about the holiday season.
Last-minute shoppers tend to pay a premium for their purchases, so it’s time for us to be savvy shoppers and save some money in advance. Here are a few tips to help you prepare for this holiday season, and start getting that gift closet filled up with deals.
1. DON’T make a “to buy” list. Most people say to make yourself a gift list. If you do this, then you are totally limiting your possibilities. You’ll only be focusing on finding those items you are looking for deals on, and won’t be ready when the perfect deal comes along. Keep in mind the people you need to shop for yes, but don’t limit yourself as to what you can get for him or her. The best gifts I’ve been able to get for people are spur of the moment bargains that I find. These always make the most meaningful gifts as well, because I’m getting something I genuinely think the giftee will enjoy.
2. Do set yourself up with a (dare I say it?) budget. Don’t scream, freak out and turn away. A budget doesn’t have to be a scary thing. It can actually be kind of fun trying to stay within a budget and still get amazing gifts for people. A few years ago, I was able to bless 5-6 people in our extended family with really nice gifts, and I had spent a total of $3. Make it an adventure!
3. Bookmark your favorite deal sites to follow, and stick with them this holiday season. Trying to follow too many sites can be overwhelming, and you’re liable to miss a lot of the really good deals if you spread yourself too thin. Savings.com DealPros know where it’s at when it comes to deals, so find your favorite DealPro bloggers to follow here.
4. Don’t be afraid of consignment and antique shops. You can find some of the best bargains and coolest items if you will get a little adventurous and shop “outside the box” store. Check out the deal I got recently when I went on my own adventure looking for deals on Antiques in Georgia.
5. Be ready for Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Free Shipping Day. We know that Black Friday and Cyber Monday are coming. We also know that Free Shipping Day comes along in December, too. Be fully prepared for the deals to be crazy on these days, and have your online shopping plan in place: pick your sites to follow to find deals, have a general idea of the types of deals you are looking for, and have coffee in hand.
And remember, for a DealPro – every day is Black Friday. Deals abound year-round, and you can always find amazing deals online with our Savings.com DealPros. What’s an awesome deal that you got recently?
Crystal Collins is an Atlanta local, adventurer, a health advocate and thrifty as can be. Check her out on her blog TheThriftyMama.com.