Skin Care Solutions for Men
Attention all men who like to preen and ladies who love to preen them. The evolution of cosmetic and skincare lines for men has grown tenfold over the last few years and a recent New York Times article confirms just that. No longer is it considered unmanly to take care of your skin, but it’s now hugely accepted and practiced by many.
Personally, I know a few men who use night creams and take extra care to moisturize their body. I dig it. A man who takes care of his looks is definitely more attractive than one who thinks not showering for a few days gives him a sexy, musky man scent. Gross.
No idea how or where to get started in beautifying yourself or your man? I’ve compiled a list of popular skincare lines targeted for men.
- Zirh – An award winning skincare and fragrance line offering cleansers, moisturizers, shaving products and cologne, Zirh offers men products sold in classic blue and silver packaging. No frilly stuff here. Check out their popular Shave Cream to get one of your best shaves yet.
- Jack Black – With a name like Jack Black, there is definitely no confusion who this product line is aimed at. They are similar to Zirh, offering skincare, shaving needs, fragrance and hair products. They’ve got a nifty travel kit packed with five skincare essentials for just $48. No more having to pack everything into a 3 oz. container before your fly.
- Clinique for Men – We all know Clinique for their affordable skincare and cosmetic line for women. And now they also cater to men. I like the packaging for this line: clean and sleek with tones of gray. They even have an interactive website to help customize your skincare needs. Check out their M Protect SPF 21, a post-shave moisturizer that comes with sun protection for $22.
- Lab Series – Billed as “high tech, high performance skincare for men,” Lab Series touts its three step “Clean-Shave-Treat” system–which is very much akin to Clinique’s three step system (Cleanse, Tone, Moisturize) for women (not coincidentally since both companies are subsidiaries of Estee Lauder…)–and its physiologically formulated products. If you’re adverse to bathroom clutter, their Multi-action face wash claims to cleanse, exfoliate AND condition skin in one step.
- Biotherm Homme – Yet another “clinical” skincare line that’s branched off to take advantage of the male market, the men’s line from Biotherm is also based off “Vitreoscilla Ferment”–a patented element extracted French thermal spring waters. While that might be a bit much to swallow, Biotherm Homme is number one worldwide in men’s skincare according to Euromonitor.
- Dove Men’s Line – Yay, one of my favorite brands has a line for men. This is the cheapest of the lines, but don’t knock it for being cheap. I am a firm believer in Dove hair products and deodorant. Check out their face and body wash for a mere $6.49 for 18 ounces. 2-in-1? Gotta love it.
- Shiseido for Men – For those of you who are willing to spend a little more for great skin, Shiseido is your answer. They have practical yet scientific products that are designed to target any skin problems you wish to tackle. Their award winning shaving cream retails for $23 and is formulated with Damage Defense Complex to replenish moisture and increase the skin’s protective barrier. And it comes in a classy gray tube.
I’ve noticed that gray seems to be the color of choice for these lines. Maybe blue is too obvious?
Are there any skincare lines or products you love and can’t live without?