In our Memorial Day Buying Guide, we’ve curated a selection of top deals including wardrobe essentials, gear for your weekend BBQ, housewares at rock-bottom prices, and sales on products that you’ll use all summer long.
Our buying guide has you covered whether you’re spending the holiday weekend celebrating patriotism, traveling, kicking off the summer, or scoring the best deals.
When Is Memorial Day Weekend in 2020?
In 2020, Memorial Day weekend starts the evening of Friday, May 22 and lasts through Monday, May 25. The federal holiday is always on the last Monday in May.
How Will People Celebrate Memorial Day?
* 42 million Americans will be traveling.
* Consumers will spend an average of $487 over the weekend.
* It’s the second biggest holiday for beer sales.
* 62% of Americans will barbecue with beef purchases topping $779 million.
Are Stores Closed on Memorial Day?
Nearly all major retailers, shops, grocery stores, and malls will be open. Holiday closures include banks, schools, and government offices.
8 Things You Didn’t Know About Observing Memorial Day:
1. More than one million men and women have died in military service since the Civil War.
2. 1.5 million will watch the parade on TV.
3. 500,000 motorcyclists will ride in Washington, DC to the Pentagon.
4. 260,000 American flags will decorate the graves of the Arlington National Cemetery.
5. It was made a national holiday in 1971.
6. Selling red poppies raises $4 million for active military and veterans.
7. Waterloo, NY was declared the birthplace of Memorial Day.
8. Several southern states celebrate Confederate Memorial Day to honor the Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War.