Best 2023 Tax Filing Deals to Get the Most Out of Your Tax Refund
Here at Savvy, all featured products are thoughtfully handpicked by our section editors. When you purchase something from our links, we may earn an affiliate commission. One last note — any items listed below are in-stock with accurate pricing as of time of publication.
There’s no shortage of quality online tax filing services available today — the trick is determining which service is best for your needs. Some companies like TurboTax or H&R Block offer in-depth online support and tools for any tax situation, while others provide no-frills software better suited for simple returns. Then there are more specialized services like LegalZoom’s LZ Tax, which is specifically designed for small businesses.
You’ll also need to consider the cost of service, which can vary from completely free to hundreds of dollars. The good news is that many companies offer exclusive deals in order to secure your business from competitors.
The filing deadline to submit 2022 federal tax returns is April 18, 2023, though there are some exceptions. Residents in California, Alabama, and Georgia, for instance, have until Oct. 16, 2023, to file with the IRS, on account of recent natural disasters. Check the IRS Relief in Disaster Situations webpage to see if you qualify for a disaster-related extension.
Keep reading to see our breakdown of the best tax services available this year, and remember to always consult with a licensed CPA for any professional tax-related advice.
- Top Tax Coupons Available Now
- Compare the Best Tax Preparation Services of 2023
- TurboTax – Most User-Friendly Online Tax Service
- H&R Block – Most Versatile Tax Service
- TaxSlayer – Most Budget-Friendly Online Tax Software
- E-File – Best Tax Filing Software for Simple Returns
- LZ Tax by LegalZoom – Best Tax Service for New Small Businesses
- Nolo – Best Tax Service for True DIY Filers
- Cash App Taxes – Best Free Tax Filing Service
Top Tax Coupons Available Now
- Get $500 off TurboTax’s Full Service Business offering (expires May 14, 2023).
- Take advantage of TurboTax’s Maximum Refund Guarantee.
- File your taxes at no cost with TurboTax Free Edition.
- Get 15% off H&R Block Premium Online.
- Take 20% off select tax filing products (expires April 18, 2023).
- File your taxes for free.
- Get unlimited on-demand help from an expert starting at $55 with H&R Block.
- Enjoy flat-rate fees and no hourly charges at LegalZoom.
- Get savings on the estate planning bundle.
- Starting a non-profit? Get non-profit business formation starting at $99.
- Get 55% off all online tax filing fees with the code GETTAXESDONE (expires April 28, 2023).
- Get 30% off Nolo’s Tax Deductions for Professionals book.
- Take 25% off all orders using the code T1040.
- Enjoy free basic tax filing at TaxSlayer.
Compare the Best Tax Preparation Services of 2023
|Company||Base Price||Free Version||Live Online Tax Support?|
|TurboTax||Starting at $59 (for online service)||Yes||Yes|
|H&R Block||Starting at $55 (for online service)||Yes||Yes|
|TaxSlayer||Starting at $34.95||Yes||Yes|
|E-File||Starting at $27.99||Yes||No|
|LZ Tax||Per case basis||No||Yes, but must be scheduled|
|Nolo||Per case basis||No||No|
|Cash App Taxes||Free||Yes||Limited to technical support or simple questions|
1. TurboTax — Most User-Friendly Online Tax Service
TurboTax offers easy-to-use online tax filing software that operates like a simple questionnaire, guiding you through all the possible tax credits and deductions while providing a number of ways to upload your documents. Choose from four main tiers of service based on the complexity of your taxes, including a free TurboTax version for simple W-2 income.
You also have the option to upgrade to TurboTax Live for access to online chatting and live one-way video with a tax expert. Though there are no in-person services available, you can always have TurboTax’s online professionals handle your taxes for you (for a higher fee, of course).
Want to learn more? Check out our article on How to Get the Biggest Tax Refund With TurboTax.
2. H&R Block — Most Versatile Tax Service
H&R Block offers a similar selection of online products compared to TurboTax— starting at $0 for its most basic coverage. Its other packages are slightly less expensive than those of its competitor. For example, H&R Block’s Self-Employed service starts at $115, compared to the $119 starting price for TurboTax’s Self-Employed option. H&R Block also has a more affordable live support service that includes on-demand chat, video, and screen sharing, and you even have the option to bring your taxes to one of their 11,000 physical locations.
Interested? Read our article on how to Get More From Your Tax Return With H&R Block.
3. TaxSlayer — Most Budget-Friendly Online Tax Software
If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative to the online filing services provided by TurboTax and H&R Block, consider TaxSlayer. Listed as an IRS Free File Online provider, TaxSlayer offers a free federal filing (including some free state filing) for individuals with an AGI of $73,000 or less. As far as paid options go, their classic service starts at just $34.95 and is ideal for self-filers looking to maximize their credits and deductions. Self-employed filers can enjoy services starting at $64.95. You can also access live chat, phone, and email support from a tax pro through their premium service. Unlike TurboTax and H&R Block, however, TaxSlayer doesn’t provide the option to complete and file your taxes for you.
4. E-File — Best Tax Filing Software for Simple Returns
Not everyone needs on-demand access to tax experts or wants help itemizing deductions or claiming obscure credits. E-File states that you can file your taxes in less than 15 minutes using its no-hassle and straightforward software. Though there is no true live support, E-File does have an online team that can help answer your questions. In addition to a free federal filing option, E-File offers its Deluxe Plus software for only $27.99 and its Premium Plus software — which includes full telephone support, IRS audit assistance, and itemized tax deductions — for only $49.99.
5. LZ Tax by LegalZoom — Best Tax Service for New Small Businesses
LegalZoom recently expanded its list of products by introducing LZ Tax, a tax prep service offered exclusively to small businesses. LZ Tax provides complete tax filing, accounting plans, year-round tax advice, bookkeeping, and more (though eligibility is dependent on the type of business you own). LZ Tax is also only available to entities that were formed using LegalZoom. To that end, consider LZ Tax if you’ve already started a small business through LegalZoom and don’t plan on hiring traditional attorneys or CPAs for your annual business needs.
6. Nolo — Best Tax Service for True DIY Filers
Nolo sells a wide variety of books and eBooks on tax-prep topics ranging from personal income, nonprofits, deductions, exemptions, IRS audits, and more. And while this doesn’t include any actual tax-filing software, Nolo can help you find a tax attorney in your area. Simply answer a few questions about your specific tax needs, and Nolo will match you with an appropriate advisor.
7. Cash App Taxes — Best Free Tax Filing Service
Cash App Taxes, formally known as Credit Karma Tax, is an entirely free service that includes federal and state filings, free audit defense, and an accurate calculations guarantee. You may be wondering if there’s a catch, and there is, sort of. You’ll have to download the Cash App (if you don’t already have it), and you’ll need to deposit your refund into the app to receive it as quickly as possible. It’s also not ideal for more complex tax situations, and some business owners may encounter limitations or issues with its service. If you’re already using Cash App, there’s a good chance you’ll be impressed with its relative transparency, simplicity, and, of course, $0 price tag.