2023 Flight Discounts and Coupons
Traveling can be a wallet-friendly adventure, no matter which airline you fly with. Whether you’re taking a long vacation or a weekend getaway, you can count on finding flights at great prices by being in the know.
Discover some of the best flight deals with links to top airline coupons below:
Insider Tips on How to Score the Best Airline Discounts
Discover the cheapest airline fares and get great travel deals on domestic and international flights. You’ll save more while getting the most out of your flight if you play your cards right.
Maximize your adventures with our budget-friendly travel guides:
- How to Save Money on Flights: A Travel Blogger’s Top Secrets for Finding Cheap Flights
- Our Travel Guide to the Best Hotel Deals in 2023
- Here’s How This Travel Expert Stays at Luxury Hotels for Cheap
- Expedia Travel Hacks That You Need to Know
Know When to Book
Get the best prices on flights by booking at the right time. The sweet spot for domestic flights is anywhere from three weeks to three-and-a-half months before your trip — or two months before international flights. If you want to know the best time to buy for your destination, CheapAir offers a flight search engine that tells you exactly when to do it.
Fly on Less Popular Days
Around the holidays, airlines will offer lower flight prices if you opt to fly on less popular days. For instance, traveling on Christmas or Thanksgiving Day instead of the days leading up to it could save you a hefty amount. Plus, you’ll run into fewer crowds at the airport, since most people will already be at their holiday destination.
Look for Baggage Check-In Perks
Lighten the cost of your flight by paying less (or nothing) to check in your baggage — while many airlines charge a baggage check-in fee for economy flights, Southwest Airlines always allows travelers two free checked bags on all flights. You can also skip the baggage fees if you have an airline credit card, which usually waives the fee of your first checked bag. Delta Air Lines, Alaska Airlines, and JetBlue all offer credit cards with this perk. In some cases, you can even get a free checked bag for all travelers on your flight reservation.
Use Frequent Flyer Programs
You can earn extra miles for future trips with frequent flyer programs, which are loyalty programs from airlines that allow you to earn miles or points whenever you book with them. You can redeem them for free flights, upgrades, and perks. If you rack up a lot of miles or points with an airline, you can upgrade tiers and get some pretty sweet rewards: many airlines offer extra baggage allowances, access to airline lounges, and discounted flights. You’ll always find a loyalty program at a major airline, so make sure to sign up whenever you book a flight.
Get an Airline Club Membership
If you’re a frequent flyer, airline club memberships may be worth it — they give you access to exclusive airport lounges in exchange for spending or flying a certain amount. You’ll be able to unlock access to these lounges by gaining elite status in a frequent flyer program or flying business or first class.
The perks include free Wi-Fi, business amenities, and a nice space to relax away from the airport bustle. You’ll also be able to skip the pricier food options you see at airports. Alcohol is free, and some lounges even offer meals at no extra cost so you can replenish before your flight.
Where and When to Book Flights for the Best Airline Deals
- Southwest Airlines: The airline regularly has irresistible seasonal sales, which you’ll usually find during early January, early February, early June, and mid-August. Their Black Friday deals are also worth looking at — in the past, they’ve had one-way flights starting at $39.
- American Airlines: During Black Friday and Cyber Monday, American Airlines featured a range of fares under $100. Look out for another round of sales around the same time this year — they offer different deals every Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- Delta Air Lines: During past Black Friday flash sales, Delta Air Lines has offered loyalty program members discounted fares on domestic and international flights. They’re likely to do so again this year, so sign up for the free loyalty program to access their sales.
- JetBlue: JetBlue offers Cyber Monday deals, with their most recent sale featuring $100 for round-trip flights.
- Alaska Airlines: You’ll typically find Alaska Airlines’ best flight fares during Black Friday. They’ve featured flights starting at $29 in the past.
- Air New Zealand: Count on Air New Zealand’s Black Friday sales to find some amazing fares. Their past deals have included a round-trip flight from Los Angeles and London for around $220.
- British Airways: British Airways always kicks off their first sale of the year on the day after Christmas until late January. You’ll also find another monthlong promotion toward the end of August, as well as a Black Friday sale. During these sales events, you’ll find longer flights at the biggest discounts you can get.