DIY | Home
18 Must-Have Home Depot Tools Under $20 for Homeowners and DIY Enthusiasts
Here at Savvy, all featured products are thoughtfully handpicked by our section editors. When you purchase something from our links, we may earn an affiliate commission. One last note — any items listed below are in-stock with accurate pricing as of time of publication.
When it comes to basic home repairs and maintenance or taking on a new home improvement project, many people choose to take the do-it-yourself route rather than hiring a contractor. If this is you (or future you), then it’s important to have a well-equipped and diverse toolbox that carries the essential tools. As you probably know, Home Depot is a great place to start building your home tool kit or to add to your collection. Plus, they always offer an abundance of wallet-saving discounts on select tools from premium brands.
However, we know that a trip to Home Depot can send even the most seasoned homeowners and adept fixer-upper experts down an endless rabbit hole of materials, tools and products. Don’t worry, you’ve come to the right place. With quality and functionality in mind, our team put together a list of must-have Home Depot tools that every homeowner and DIY enthusiast should have to complete household repairs, renovations, and unexpected home emergencies—all under $20!
1. If you only own one wrench, make it an adjustable wrench. The Milwaukee 10" Adjustable Wrench has a proprietary adjustment screw that ensures a tight grip on nuts, bolts, and pipes without loosening during a job, and a limited lifetime warranty that ensures this wrench is in it for the long haul.
2. DIY projects require precision, so every homeowner should have a tape measure in their arsenal. The 25 ft. PowerLock Tape Measure has a Tru-Zero® Hook that gives you accurate inside/outside measurements, and the outer casing is tough as nails.
3. Avoid hanging crooked shelves or picture frames on the wall with the Empire True Blue Professional Torpedo Level which has a magnetic edge that allows for hands-free use on metal surfaces.
Price: $9.88 $8.97
4. A screwdriver is usually the first and last tool needed for home repairs, and the Stalwart Screwdriver Set with Magnetic Tips (18-Piece) comes with 18 different-sized screwdrivers.
5. No one plier can do it all, but the Stanley Pliers Set (3-Piece) comes pretty close. You’ll have gripping, bending, and cutting tasks on lock for under $13.
6. Pound or rip out nails with the trusty Husky 16 oz. Fiberglass Claw Hammer equipped with a forward-weight design for additional striking power.
7. Whether you need to score drywall or cut pictures for a photo collage, this Milwaukee FASTBACK Folding Utility Knife Set (2-Pack) is great for crafts and housework alike.
8. Trust us, a cutting mat is one of those items you don’t think you’ll need until the moment comes. Spare your tables the battle scars and protect them with this AdirOffice 12" x 18" Self Healing Reversible Cutting Mat.
9. For under $20, this Defiant 1200 Lumens LED Flashlight cuts through darkness like butter with a beam throw of 885 ft. (270 m). You’ll be glad to have this during a blackout or emergency.
10. With all the tools you’re buying, you’re going to need a versatile and reliable toolbox to store it in. The DeWalt TSTAK II 13" Stackable Flat Top Tool Storage Case can hold up to 66 lb. and is stackable with other DeWalt toolboxes, allowing you to make the most out of your garage space.
11. This magnetic Rack-A-Tiers Stud Ball Magnetic Stud Finder is a no-frills all-function tool that’ll find every existing stud with no false positives. It’s able to detect metal through 1/2" or 5/8" drywall and other thicker building materials.
12. The Arrow T50 Heavy Duty Staple Gun is one of the best-selling staple guns of all time. With its jam-resistant mechanisms, durable chrome build, and affordable price point, it’s no wonder both professionals and DIYers alike make this their staple gun of choice.
13. Reload your staple gun with a set of Arrow T50 1/2" Stainless-Steel Staples (1,000-Pack). These staples are also compatible with Black and Decker, Powershot, Craftsman, Stanley, and Ace staplers.
14. Move over, duct tape. Gorilla 1.88 in. x 12 yd. Black Tape is up to 3x stronger compared to the leading brand of duct tape and its application is essentially limited to your imagination—just remember to keep it safe.
15. If you’ve ever nailed a hole in the wrong place and want to erase all signs of your embarrassing mistake, this 3M Patch Plus Primer Spackling Compound (16-Ounces) is for you.
16. An HDX 9" Heavy Duty Professional Caulk Gun may very well be on the same level as duct tape when it comes to home repair utility. Use it to touch up tile, seal windows, and fill in exterior surface gaps in stucco, brick, stone, and metal.
17. Every paintbrush has a purpose, and this Wooster Paint Brush Set (3-Pack) comes with three different-sized brushes for a variety of indoor painting applications. The 1" thin angle sash and 1-1/2" angle sash brush are best used for craft projects and indoor trimmings, while the 2" trim brush is better for larger surfaces like interior walls, cabinets, and stairs.
18. Buy a Gorilla Ladders 2-Step Compact Steel Step Stool and use the extra height to access hard-to-reach areas. Two steps may not seem like much, but oftentimes that’s the difference between reaching the top cabinet, setting a decorative shelf, or dusting that spiderweb in the corner of your room.